Home            Back            Bottom

A Chronicle of the Philadelphia Section PGA and Golf in the Philadelphia Area
by Peter C. Trenham
1930 to 1939

1930 Pine Valley’s Charles Lacey reached the semifinals of the PGA and finished seventh in the U.S. Open.
1931 Ed Dudley won the Los Angeles Open, the Western Open and the scoring title for the year.
1932 George B. Smith won his third Philadelphia PGA title and Ed Dudley reached the semifinals in the PGA.
1933 Joe Kirkwood, Sr. won the North & South Open and the Canadian Open, and Denny Shute won the British Open.
1934 Denny Shute and Gene Kunes were semifinalists in the PGA and Leo Diegel was third in PGA Tour winnings.
1935 Henry Picard won six PGA Tour events and Gene Kunes won the Canadian Open.
1936 Jimmy Thomson reached the finals in the PGA Championship and won the Richmond Open.
1937 Byron Nelson won the Masters Tournament and Henry Picard won his second consecutive Hershey Open.
1938 The Section hosted the PGA Championship at Shawnee Inn & CC and Henry Picard won the Masters Tournament.
1939 Byron Nelson won the U.S. Open and Vardon Trophy while Henry Picard won the PGA and led the money list.

Bottom             Top             Back             Home

1930 - As the decade commenced it was only 41 years since golf had begun in the United States in 1889. There were now 5,856 golf courses in the USA. There were only 3,300 golf courses in the rest of the world and 2,000 of those were in the British Empire. The previous year $21,067,216 had been spent on golf equipment in the United States, which was 37.4 percent of the total spent in the country on sporting and athletic goods that year.

The PGA had established a "Code of Ethics".

The name “Professional Golfer” must be and remain a synonym and pledge of honor, service and fair dealing. His professional integrity, fidelity to the game of golf, and a sense of his great responsibility to employers and employees, manufacturers and clients, and to his brother professionals, transcends thought of material gain in the motives of the true professional golfer.

A member shall be deemed to have violated the Code of Ethics, by

1.  Allowing the use of his name or likeness in such manner as to misrepresent golf merchandise, or in which the sale of golf merchandise bearing his name or likeness causes disadvantage to any group of professionals.
2.  Abusing the privileges usually extended to members of the Association, by playing, without invitation on any course, or in any way causing embarrassment to the resident professional.
3.  Applying for a position without definite knowledge of its vacancy, or accepting any position or appointment in any but an honorable and ethical manner.
4.  Failing to meet obligations promptly, or being guilty of conduct likely to injure the reputation and standing of the Association or any of its members.

Bill Leach
6th in the 1928 U.S. Open
2nd in the 1930 Miami Open
Overbrook Golf Club head professional, Bill Leach, started the year off right. On the first Sunday of January he won the second place check at the Miami Open. In the last round Leach shot a 72 to pick up four strokes on Gene Sarazen but it wasn’t quite enough. Sarazen had turned in a 69 in the morning of the second day and he held on to win by one stroke. Sarazen’s rounds were 76, 79, 69 and 76 for a 300 total. Sarazen had now won the tournament four straight years. Leach finished at 301. Cyril Walker was next with a 302 total. Berkshire Country Club professional, Al Heron (304) trailed by one stroke after the first day and ended up winning the fourth money.

On the same day Bill Leach was finishing second in Miami Joe Kirkwood, Sr. tied Olin Dutra for first place in the Long Beach Open in California. The tournament was played at the Recreation Park Municipal Course. Kirkwood, who lived in Glenside, Pennsylvania and Dutra tied at even par 216 and agreed to be co-champions. They split the first and second money from the $3,500 purse, which earned the two pros $500 apiece. The contestants played 36-holes the last day and no one in the field broke 75 in the morning due to a driving rainstorm. Kirkwood’s rounds were 68, 78 and 70. Dutra’s rounds were 67, 76 and 73. Clarence Clark finished third with a 218 and Henry Ciuci was next at 219. The low amateur was 18-year-old Charley Seaver who led the first day with a 66. Many years later his son pitched for the New York Mets in the World Series.

Jim Edmundson, Sr., a former Irish Open champion and the professional at the North Hills Country Club, was elected Section president on the fourth Friday of January. The meeting was held at Boothby’s Café on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. Riverton Country Club professional Leo Shea moved from second vice president to first vice president. Philadelphia Cricket Club professional Alex Duncan was elected to the office of second vice president. The new secretary-treasurer was Huntingdon Valley Country Club professional Robert Stalker. Ed Clarey, professional at the Juniata Golf Club, was chairman of the employment committee. Edmundson asked Duncan to continue as the tournament chairman and Duncan named Clarey as his assistant on the committee. A dinner followed the meeting.

Shortly after the Section’s annual meeting and elections the first vice president, Leo Shea, left the Section for a new head professional position in West Virginia. No one was appointed to fill the vacancy.

Ed Dudley, the professional at the Concord Country Club, won $750 for a third place finish at the Southeastern Open on the first of April. Bobby Jones won the tournament at Augusta, Georgia by thirteen strokes over Horton Smith (297) and Dudley (298) who finished second and third. Joe Turnesa and Wiffy Cox tied for fourth with 299s. The first two rounds were played at the Augusta Country Club’s Hill Course and the last two were at the Forest Hills-Ricker Course. Jones’ rounds were 72, 72, 69 and 71 for 284. Since Jones was an amateur Smith won the first money of $1,000 and Dudley received the second money. One-hundred plus professionals and amateurs were entered.

George B. Smith
1930 Section Champion
In mid May Bala Golf Club and Lew Goldbeck were the hosts of the Section Championship again. George B. Smith, the 128-pound professional at the Moorestown Field Club, repeated as the champion. He was the Section champion for a second time with a three over par score of 72-67—139. Smith’s second round 67 was a course record and he needed it to edge out Yardley Country Club head professional A. B. "Al "Nelson (141), , by two strokes. Walter Work, the professional at the Pine Run Golf Club, finished third with 143. Pine Valley Golf Club playing professional Charles Lacey, Bill Leach, and Clarence Hackney, the professional at the Atlantic City Country Club, tied for fourth with 144s. There were 53 entries and 10 money places. At that time the Section Championship was where the Section’s members usually paid their dues for the year.

On the fourth Monday of May a group of PGA professionals named the Professional Golfers Seniors Association played what they hoped would be their first annual national championship at the Philadelphia Cricket Club’s Flourtown Course. To be eligible one had to have been a head professional for at least 25 years. Long Island’s Charlie Mayo and former U.S. Open champion Fred McLeod from Washington D.C. tied for first with 76s. A sudden-death playoff was held that day to determine a winner. McLeod’s drive was in the fairway and his shot to the green with an iron came to rest in the center of the green about eight feet from the cup. Mayo’s drive was in the right rough and his second shot barely reached the green. From there Mayo holed a 30-foot putt and when McLeod failed to hole his putt Mayo was the winner. They competed for the Willie Anderson trophy on which the names of the other deceased U.S. Open winners were inscribed. The host professional was Alec Duncan, a native of Scotland and the younger brother of the famous professional George Duncan. Ashbourne Country Club’s Dave Cuthbert was the low Philadelphia Section pro tying Gil Nicholls from the Metropolitan Section for third place at 77. Jack Hobens finished fifth with a 78.

On the third Monday in June qualifying for the U.S. Open was held at The Springhaven Club. Eighty pros and amateurs were vying for eight places in Minneapolis. Ed Dudley (72-70) and Charles Lacey (70-72) tied for the low score with 142s. Al Heron (144) was next and Felix Serafin (147), the professional at the Country Club of Scranton finished fourth. Bill Leach (149) and the Lu Lu Country Club professional Johnny Schuebel (149) also qualified. The other two spots went to Baltimore professionals. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. and George B. Smith were exempt for having been in the top thirty in the U.S. Open the previous year. The entrance fee was $5.

Clarence Hackney also qualified for the U.S. Open in New York on the third Monday of June with a 153. Play was over the Fenimore Country Club and the Quaker Ridge Golf Club. The medalist was Rocky Rich with a 79 at Fenimore and a course record afternoon round of 69 at Quaker Ridge. There were fourteen spots and Hackney tied for eighth as a score of 154 made it on the number.

The British Open was played at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Hoylake, England in the third week of June. Bobby Jones (291) won as it was his "Grand Slam Year". Jones’ rounds were 70, 72, 74 and 75. Leo Diegel and Macdonald Smith tied for second with 293 totals. Horton Smith and Fred Robson tied for fourth at 296. Jim Barnes (297) tied for sixth.

Ed Dudley
Member of 3 Ryder Cup teams
Section president seven years
PGA president seven years

In late June Ed Dudley won the eighteenth annual Shawnee Open, which was hosted by the Shawnee Inn & Country Club. Dudley had rounds of 74, 66, 73 and 69 for a two-day six-under-par 282. In winning he picked up $600 finishing six strokes ahead of three-time champion Johnny Farrell (288) who finished second. This was the second lowest 72-hole score in the tournament history. Johnny Farrell had scored lower in 1927 but four hundred yards had been added to the course since then. In the second round Dudley broke the course record with a six-under-par 66, which netted him another $50. Wiffy Cox finished third with a 290. Felix Serafin had the next best finish among the Section members as he took the fourth money with a 291. Al Heron tied for fourteenth at 301. The host professional was Willie Norton.

At Minneapolis’ Interlachen Country Club in the second week of July, Bobby Jones won the third leg of his Grand Slam at the U.S. Open. Three Section professionals made good showings. Jones’ rounds were 71, 73, 68 and 75 for 287. Macdonald Smith finished two strokes back in second place with a 289 and took home the first place check of $1,000. Horton Smith was next at 292 and Harry Cooper finished fourth at 293. Charles Lacey (298) finished 7th and won $350 from the $5,000 purse. Al Heron (301) and Ed Dudley (303) finished 11th and 17th. They were also in the money winning $80.25 and $47.50. George B. Smith, Clarence Hackney, Joe Kirkwood, Sr., Bill Leach, Felix Serafin and Johnny Schuebel missed the cut. The tournament was broadcast on radio for the first time. The final round was on CBS from 6 PM to 8 PM Eastern Standard Time. This was made possible by announcer Ted Husing carrying a thirty-pound transmitting apparatus on his back in brutally hot weather.

On the second Monday of July, just two days after the U.S. Open ended, Ed Dudley was in Pittsburgh to defend his Pennsylvania Open title. The tournament was held at the Allegheny Country Club. 36 holes on the last day of the US Open didn’t deter Ed Dudley. He brought home the title again winning the state open for the second year in a row. Again the championship was 72 holes and played over two days. Dudley’s rounds of 73, 74, 70 and 68 for a five-over-par 285, won by six strokes over Highland Country Club’s Vince Eldred (291). Ohio’s P.O. Hart (294) finished third and two western Pennsylvania pros Fred Baroni (296) and Perry Del Vecchio (296) tied for fourth. No one else from the Philadelphia Section finished better than 20th. Dudley’s 68 in the final round was a course record.

Later in the week the three-day 72-hole Met Open ended in a tie at the Fairview Country Club in New York. Willie Macfarlane and Johnny Farrell tied at 280. The next day Macfarlane won a playoff that took twice as long as planned. In the morning Macfarlane and Farrell ended up still tied after matching one under par 70s. The committee sent them out for another 18 holes, which Macfarlane won with a 72 against a 74 for Farrell. Macfarlane’s tournament rounds were 71, 73, 69 and 67. Horton Smith finished third at 281 missing the playoff by one stroke. Gene Sarazen and Wiffy Cox tied for fourth with 282s. Ed Dudley (285) tied for sixth and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (288) finished tenth.

On a Sunday, the day after the Met Open ended, the Concord Country Club held a one-day invitation tournament for ten leading professionals. Joseph C. Luke, the Golf Chairman at Concord, sponsored the tournament putting up a purse of $1,550. Gene Sarazen, playing out of Long Island, shot a 30 on the front nine in the afternoon to win the $500 first prize. He finished one stroke ahead of Connecticut professional Johnny Golden with a two-under-par 36-hole score of 71 and 67 for 138. Golden (139) won $400 and the host pro, Ed Dudley, who finished third with 140, won $300. Craig Wood and Billy Burke tied for fourth at 142. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. was the only other pro with Philadelphia ties that was invited. The one-day event drew 1,500 spectators.

On the third Monday of July Al Heron and his assistant Harry Markel won the head professional-assistant professional championship at the Philmont Country Club’s North Course. The Berkshire Country Club team won by three strokes with a 66 and a 68 for a 36-hole total of 134 that was aided by Heron’s course record 67 in the morning round.

On the last Monday in July the Section held qualifying for the national PGA Championship at the Whitemarsh Valley Country Club. Charlie Schneider, who had left the Rydal Country Club earlier that year to be the professional at the Pennsylvania Golf Club, led with rounds of 70 and 74 for an even par 144. The other four successful qualifiers were Clarence Ehresman (146), assistant at the Philadelphia Country Club, Charles Lacey (148), Johnny Schuebel (148) and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (150). Kirkwood had to win a four man sudden-death playoff to lock up the last spot, which he did by making pars on the first two holes.

In the second week of August Clarence Hackney won the Philadelphia Open at the Cedarbrook Country Club in Mt. Airy. There were 84 pros and amateurs entered but the defending champion Ed Dudley was not among them. Hackney shot a two-under-par 69 in the last round and picked up 10 strokes on Green Valley Country Club’s professional George Griffin, Sr. His rounds of 75, 78, 73 and 69 for a two-day total of 295 that earned him a check for $350 and a gold medal. That brought him in three strokes in front of Griffin (298). Tavistock Country Club assistant pro Jack Leach tied for third with Long Island’s Charles Luhr at 299. The total purse came to $925, which included two money prizes for professionals who were working at Golf Association of Philadelphia member clubs.

George B. Smith won another tournament, the Central Pennsylvania Open, on the next Monday. It was played at the par 66 Galen Hall Country Club. Smith had a 31 on the last nine to finish with a 68, which added to his morning 70 gave him a 138 total. Smith won by two strokes over Al Heron (140), George Griffin, Sr. (140) and Johnny Moyer (140), the professional at the Shamokin Valley Country Club. They all tied for second. Ocean City Golf Club professional Charlie Hoffner finished fifth with a 141. No one had a par or better score for any 18-hole round that day.

Charlie Lacey
Semifinalist in 1930 PGA
Third in 1937 British Open
Seventh in 1930 U.S. Open

The Section had four members successfully qualify on site for the 32-man field at the PGA Championship. The championship was played in the second week of September at the Fresh Meadow Country Club in Flushing, New York. Charles Lacey (147), Charlie Schneider (151), Clarence Ehresman (157) and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (157) were the qualifiers for the matches, all played at 36-holes. Johnny Schuebel failed to qualify. In the qualifying the players were sent off in three-man pairings at six-minute intervals. The players were expected to complete the 18 holes, get something to eat and tee off for their afternoon round exactly four hours after their morning tee time. The 011158 shooters played off for the last spot. Lacey made it in spite of breaking his #3 and #4 irons during the morning round of the qualifying. Johnny Farrell and Horton Smith were the medalists with 145s. In the first round Schneider lost to Gene Sarazen on the 36th hole one-down and Ehresman lost to Harold Sampson 4&3. Lacey and Kirkwood each won three matches to make it to the semifinals. On the way to the semifinals Lacey defeated Charles Guest in the first round 3&2, then he beat Al Watrous 5&4 and Sampson 4&3 before losing to Tommy Armour, the eventual winner, one-down. Kirkwood beat Gunnar Johnson 8&7 in the first round, then he got by Jack Collins in 37 holes and he nipped Horton Smith one-down. In the semifinals he lost to Sarazen 5&4. Armour then defeated Sarazen one-down in the finals.

On the last Tuesday of September a driving contest that welcomed all comers was held at Philadelphia’s Municipal Stadium under the lights. The national amateur was being held at Merion Cricket Club that week and all of the contestants were eligible to enter, which some of them did. Some of the leading professionals that were entered were Gene Sarazen, Tommy Armour, Harry Cooper, Emmet French, Clarence Hackney and Ed Dudley. Seats were priced from $1 to $3. There was a purse of $7,500 and more than 100 entered. A tee was constructed at a 40-foot elevation in the south endzone. In order to qualify for the finals each of the entrants hit three drives into a sixty-yard wide fairway, which extended for 422 yards. The players were facing a stiff cold wind so there was almost no roll. In the finals Detroit’s Clarence Gamber missed the fairway with his first two drives and then proceeded to win the contest. He won with an average of 256 yards, 5 and 1/3 inches. Gamber’s longest drive, which was registered on his fifth and final attempt, covered 262 yards and one inch. That was also the longest drive of all the contestants. Cliff Spencer of Baltimore was next with an average of 250 yards, 1 and 2/3 inches. Washington D.C.’s T. Monroe Hunter finished third with an average of just over 247 yards. Detroit’s James Beaupre was fourth as he averaged 240 yards. Tony Longo, who was later a Section member, (238 yards, 2 feet, 10 inches) finished fifth, Al Heron (238 yards, 6 inches) was sixth and Clarence Hackney (222 yards) was seventh.

The national PGA meeting was at the Palmer House in Chicago during the third week of November. The delegates voted to increase the number of qualifiers for the PGA Championship from 64 to 100. The suggestion for the creation of a business golfer PGA member classification was rejected, as they could not be admitted due to the apprenticeship rules. Before a person could become a member he had to serve a three-year apprenticeship in a golf shop under a PGA member. The delegates also voted to limit the members of the Ryder Cup team to professionals born in the United States. Before that the restriction had been an unwritten understanding for eligibility. Charles W. Hall was elected president. Jack Pirie was reelected secretary and Jack B. Mackie was reelected treasurer. The vice presidents were W.H. Way, Harold Sampson, Dan J. Goss, Jack Shea, Thomas Boyd and Bob Johnson. The delegates to the meeting from the Philadelphia Section were Alec Duncan and Robert Stalker.

Bottom             Top             Back             Home

1931 - The R&A sanctioned the use of steel-shafted golf clubs for all tournament play. The USGA had made them legal for tournament play in late 1924. By the late 1920s steel had almost completely replaced hickory in the United States.

On the second weekend in January Ed Dudley was on the West Coast winning the Los Angeles Open. This, his first PGA Tour victory earned him $3,500 from the $10,000 purse. A last round 68 brought him home two strokes in front of Al Espinosa (287) and Eddie Loos (287), who had been the professional at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in 1917. Tommy Armour and Frank Walsh tied for fourth with 288s. Dudley played the 72 holes in rounds of 72, 73, 72 and 68 for a total of 285 strokes.

One week later on the third Monday of January, Alec Duncan was elected president at a Section meeting at the Penn Athletic Club in Philadelphia. Roxborough Country Club’s professional, Herb Jewson, who had been the president of the Section for four years in the 1920s, was back in office as the secretary-treasurer. He was called on to replace Robert Stalker who had died recently. Leo Shea had been the first vice president the year before and would have been elected president but he had moved to West Virginia to take a new head professional position. Duncan was elected because of the executive ability he had shown on the tournament committee and his skill as a witty after-dinner speaker. Ed Clarey was elected first vice president and Bala Golf Club professional Lew Goldbeck was elected second vice president. At this meeting two proposals of interest were discussed. A new larger, lighter golf ball was endorsed by the Section. The ball measured 1.68 inches in diameter and weighed 1.55 ounces. The previous ball had been 1.62 inches and 1.62 ounces. One reason given for the change was that the ball would sit up better and be easier to hit from the fairway. Another reason for the lighter ball was to put the spoon (3-wood) and the long irons back into the game since it wouldn’t go quite as far as the heavier ball. The USGA was concerned that the older courses were becoming obsolete. The members didn’t have much choice about the matter, as this was the only ball sanctioned by the United States Golf Association. However they went on record as unanimously approving the ball. The other proposal of interest wasn’t a new one as it had been brought up before. The suggestion was made by several members to change the Section Championship to match play from stroke play. It was pointed out that the national PGA Championship was contested at match play so the Section Championship should be played under the same format. The tournament committee agreed to consider the change.

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. won the Southeastern Open in Augusta, Georgia at the end of March. He finished two strokes in front of Paul Runyan (292) with rounds of 74, 74, 71 and 70 for a total of 290 and took away a check for $1,000. The last round was played in driving rain and Kirkwood came from five strokes behind to win. His last round, a one-under-par 70, was the low round of the day. Willie Macfarlane (293) finished third and Johnny Farrell was next at 295.

George Griffin, Sr.
1931 Section Champion

Riverton Country Club and their professional Walter Brickley hosted the Section Championship on the second Monday of May. The winner was George Griffin, Sr. with a score of 72-77—149. Griffin nipped The Springhaven Club’s assistant professional Bill Cone (150) by one stroke in the one-day 36-hole tournament. A.B. "Al "Nelson and Clarence Hackney tied for third at 151 as eight professionals finished in the money. There were 41 entries.

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (308) finished tied for 26th in the British Open at the Carnoustie Golf Club, Angus, Scotland in the first week of June. Tommy Armour was the winner giving him his third victory in a major. Armour’s rounds were 73, 75, 77 and 71 for 296. Jose Jurado (297) finished second one stroke back. Gene Sarazen and Percy Alliss tied for third with 298s.

On the second Monday in June 20-year-old Robert “Buzz” Campbell led the qualifying for the U.S. Open at the Whitemarsh Valley Country Club with a 72 and an 80 for 152. Campbell was the assistant to his father Jack at the Old York Road Country Club. Johnny Schuebel, now the pro at the Airport Driving Range in Camden, was next with a 153. George B. Smith (154) and Clarence Hackney (157) also qualified. Two Maryland pros also qualified at Whitemarsh. There were 1,150 entries competing at twenty locations and 74 of them were at Whitemarsh. Ed Dudley and Al Heron, who was now the professional at the Riverside Country Club, were exempt due to having finished in the top thirty in the U.S. Open the year before but Heron didn’t enter the tournament.

In the third week of June Ed Dudley won his second PGA Tour tournament of the year, the Western Open at Dayton, Ohio. His four-under-par 280 total for the three days beat Walter Hagen (284), who finished second, by four strokes. Gene Sarazen (287) and Jock Collins (287) tied for third, seven off the pace. Dudley’s rounds were 69, 70, 70 and 71. The Western Open first played in 1899 had the status of a major at that time.

The Ryder Cup Matches were back in the United States at Columbus, Ohio in late June. The captain Walter Hagen was determined to field the strongest team possible. He held a seventy-two-hole qualifier at the host club, Scioto Country Club, the week before the cup matches to fill the last four places on the team. Future Section member Leo Diegel was one of six professionals already chosen for the team. Ed Dudley, who had been a member of the losing team in 1929, was one of thirteen professionals invited to Scioto to compete for the last four places on the team. Dudley didn’t make the team but Denny Shute a future Section member did. Shute had to win an eighteen-hole playoff after being tied for the fourth place at the end of the seventy-two holes. Hagen’s plan seemed to bring results as the U.S. team defeated the visitors from the British Isles by a comfortable 9 to 3 margin. Henry Cotton was selected for the British team but was uninvited since he insisted on traveling alone.

In the first week of July the U.S. Open was held at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio. The defending champion Bobby Jones had retired from competitive golf so O.B. Keeler who had become famous writing about Jones’ golf had been hired by NBC. Keeler gave a report on the tournament over radio from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. each day. On Saturday Keeler broadcast his show while following the leaders through the final holes with a portable transmitter strapped to his back. Because of the new 1.68-inch ball all the contestants' golf balls were measured at the first tee.  Billy Burke and George Von Elm ended regulation play tied at 292. The next day a 36-hole playoff was held. Burke was around in 73-76=149 and Von Elm tied him with 75-74=149. The next day the two pros met in another 36-hole playoff. This time Burke prevailed with (77-71) 148 against Von Elm’s (76-73) 149. Burke’s tournament rounds were 73, 72, 74 and 73 for 292. First prize was $1,000. Leo Diegel finished third at 294. Wiffy Cox and Bill Mehlhorn tied for fourth at 295. Ed Dudley (301) finished 15th winning $57.50 as 20 places were paid. Clarence Hackney (312) tied for 43rd and George B. Smith (315) tied for 46th. Buzz Campbell withdrew after the first round. Johnny Schuebel missed the cut.

The Pennsylvania Open was played at the Philadelphia Cricket Club’s Flourtown Course in mid July. Felix Serafin grabbed the title with a two-day three-over-par 287. Serafin’s rounds were 76, 70, 71 and 70. He came from six strokes back after the first day to win by three over the defending champion, Ed Dudley (290), who finished second. France’s Aubrey Boomer and New York’s Joe Turnesa tied for third at 291. Ten pros won money from the $1,080 purse and the winner took away almost one-half, $500.

Clarence Hackney
Won 1923 Canadian Open
Member of the pre Ryder Cup Team
Won New Jersey Open 3 straight years
Won Philadelphia Open 3 times
Won Section Championship 2 times

The Met Open was held in the third week of July at the Crestmont Country Club in New Jersey. Looking for a third Met Open title Macdonald Smith began slowly with rounds of 76, 72 on the first two days. In the morning of the third day Smith burned up the course with a record six under par 66 and he tacked on a 71 in the afternoon. The last round was played in driving rain. Smith’s 285 total brought him in five stokes in front of Gene Sarazen (290). Johnny Farrell (291) was next two strokes in front of Ed Dudley and Willie Macfarlane who tied for fourth with 293s.

At the Philadelphia Open in the second week of August at the Manufacturers Golf & Country Club, Ed Dudley led after the morning round on the first day of the 72-hole event with a par 72. During the afternoon round there were heavy rains and thunderstorms, which made the course unplayable. The sponsor of the tournament, the Golf Association of Philadelphia, decided to cancel out the scores for the whole day even though the morning round was played in perfect sunny weather. Their interpretation of the rules of golf was "If the committee considers that the course is not in playable condition it shall at any time have the power to declare the day’s play null and void". No one went out on the course to tell the competitors that play had been canceled. One of the forty-three competitors who finished was Dudley. As he was nearing the 18th green lightning struck near the clubhouse and the flash reflected off his club. He stayed on his feet but his leg was temporarily paralyzed and it was about thirty seconds before he could walk again. He finished with an 81 but the score didn’t count. The next day (Tuesday) the tournament, now reduced to 36-holes, was resumed. The winner for the second straight year was Clarence Hackney with rounds of 72 and 75 for 147. Dudley, A.B. "Al" Nelson, Dudley’s assistant Ralph Hutchison, and Baltimore professional Ralph Beach tied for second with 150s.

The Section members held qualifying for the PGA Championship at The Springhaven Club in the middle of August. George Low, Jr., 19 year-old assistant to his father, George, Sr. at the Huntingdon Valley Country Club, led the competition for the seven places in the national championship with 72-73 for 145. Ed Dudley picked up the second spot with a 146. Next at 147 were Joe Kirkwood, Sr. and Clarence Hackney. The fifth and sixth spots went to Charlie Hoffner and John Beadle, the professional at the Paxon Hollow Golf Club, who each posted 148s. Harry Markel and his former boss Al Heron ended up in a tie for the last spot at 150. The spot went to Markel, who was now the head professional at the Berkshire Country Club, when he birdied the first hole against a par for Heron. Before the qualifying began there had been questions over who was eligible for the tournament. All of the competitors had paid their PGA dues but several had been late with their payments. In order to be eligible for the PGA $35 of the $50 dues had to be paid by July 15. Four of the pros who had not paid their dues on time were Hackney, Hoffner, Markel and the host professional Andy Campbell. Even though Campbell had been two days late with his dues the PGA of America had accepted his entry, maybe because he was hosting the qualifying event. The pros not in the good graces of the PGA competed in the qualifying rounds under protest. Since the national PGA office had accepted Campbell’s entry the local officers allowed the other late payers to compete. That evening George Sayers, professional at the Merion Cricket Club, and Spring Hill Country Club professional Marty Lyons, who had both missed qualifying by one stroke, sent a letter of protest via overnight wire to the PGA of America. It stated that three of the qualifiers were late paying their dues and were not in good standing as of July 15 and should not have been entered in the qualifying event. Of the three accused, Hoffner had paid his dues two days late. Markel and Hackney had been 30 days late with their payments. Two days later the PGA declared Markel and Hackney ineligible for the PGA Championship. Heron, who had lost in a playoff two days before to his former assistant Markel, was now in the championship. The Section Secretary Herb Jewson announced an 18-hole playoff would be held the next day for the seventh qualifying place. Sayers, Lyons and the host professional Campbell who had shot 151 scores were scheduled to playoff. Campbell wired the PGA to say that he did not care to play in the PGA Championship. The 18-hole rain soaked playoff between Lyons and Sayers ended in a tie with 79s. A second 18-hole playoff was held in rain the same day, which Lyons won handily with a 73 against an 85 for Sayers. Kirkwood had to qualify even though he had been a semi-finalist in the PGA the year before and Dudley had to qualify even though he had won two tournaments on the PGA Tour that year.

In mid September nine Section members, seven qualifiers plus Clarence Hackney and Harry Markel, who had been declared ineligible by the PGA, showed up at the Wannamoisett Country Club in Rumford, Rhode Island for the PGA Championship. Hackney said he had not been notified that his dues payment was overdue. He also said that he didn’t know he had been barred from participating in the championship until he arrived at Wannamoisett. He threatened to take legal action by applying for an injunction against the playing of the championship. When the PGA officials were told of this they changed their stance. Hackney and Markel were given starting times for the qualifying rounds. Hackney and Markel missed qualifying for the matches with Hackney missing the playoff for the last spot by one stroke. Gene Sarazen was the medalist at (73-72) 145. Ed Dudley and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. qualified for the 32-man match play with 151s. Failing to qualify along with Hackney and Markel were Al Heron, John Beadle, Charlie Hoffner, Marty Lyons and George Low, Jr. Dudley and Kirkwood both lost in the first round. Dudley lost to Cyril Walker 3&2 and Kirkwood lost to Tommy Armour 2&1. All of the matches were 36-holes. Long shot Tom Creavy won by beating future Section member Denny Shute in the finals 2&1. To reach the finals Creavy defeated Sarazen 5&3 in the semifinals and Shute got by Billy Burke one-up.

Later that year it seems like the tournament committee had listened to the suggestions for a Section match play championship. A match play tournament, though not the Section Championship, was held at the end of September at the Paxon Hollow Golf Club. The professionals qualified for 16 places the morning of the first day and played the first round matches that afternoon. The low qualifiers were Ed Dudley, Charlie Hoffner, Jimmy Lyons the assistant at the Gulph Mills Golf Club and George Griffin, Sr. with 74s. They played two matches the second day and a 36-hole final the third day. At the conclusion of the first day’s play the Paxon Hollow Golf Club added $100 to the purse. The Western Open champion, Dudley, met the former Canadian Open champion Clarence Hackney in the finals. Dudley only led by one hole at the lunch break but in the afternoon round he was five under par and laid his opponent three stymies as well and the match was over after the thirteenth hole (6&5). In the semifinals Dudley eliminated Howard Slattery, the professional at the Bucks County Golf Club, 4&3 and Hackney put out Griffin, Sr. 2&1.

Ten months after requiring that the tournament golfers play the 1.55-ounce golf ball, the USGA changed their minds and introduced another ball late that year. The new ball would be the same size, 1.68 inches, but heavier at 1.62 ounces. The R&A had not gone along with the USGA ball. The USGA’s new specifications gave the manufacturers more latitude, as the ball could be larger than the prescribed size and less than the prescribed weight. Most golfers didn’t like the light ball they had been required to play and called it the "balloon ball". The better players felt that the light ball didn’t hold its line in the wind and didn’t putt well. Late that fall a ball manufacturer had sent Dudley some of the new balls to test. He said he thought the new balls were so much better that the pros might be shooting in the 50s soon. This was the third change in ten years. Prior to 1921 when 1.62 ounces and 1.62 inches were fixed as the standard, the use of any size ball was permissible.

Alec Duncan was reelected president for the next year at the Section’s annual meeting on the first Monday of November. They met at the Denckla Building in Philadelphia. The meeting was restricted to Class "A" members of the PGA. Ed Clarey was reelected first vice president and The DuPont Country Club professional Percy Vickers was elected second vice president. Secretary-Treasurer Herb Jewson, who was reelected, reported in his year-end financial statement that $1,912.50 had been paid out in prize money at the Section tournaments. This left a balance in the treasury of $342.14. This was very good since they had had no money at the same time the year before. Only $206 of this was immediately available because $142.14 was in the Manayunk Trust Company that had been closed due to the Great Depression. Len Sheppard and the St. Mungo Golf Company who he represented hosted the meeting.

In mid November twenty-three of the Sections were represented by 46 delegates at the PGA’s national meeting in Boston. The meeting was held at the Statler Hotel. One Section did not attend the meeting. Herb Jewson and George Sayers represented the Philadelphia Section. The delegates agreed to create a uniform code for the instruction of golf. Every PGA member would be asked to submit his plan for teaching golf. Sectional boards would study the various plans with the aid of a physician. The Sectional boards would send their plans to a national board. The national board would be composed of America’s outstanding golf teachers, leading amateur golfers, physicians, physical culturists, and the president of the USGA. The board would agree on one uniform and officially adopted set of rules for instruction. All members of the PGA would be expected to adhere to the adopted set of teaching rules or risk losing their PGA membership if they refused. An examining board would be organized to test every member’s knowledge of the plan and the future applicants for membership also. No one would be admitted to the PGA unless he knew the teaching rules and taught them to his pupils. On the tournament front Gene Sarazen and some of the money players agreed to play exhibitions to raise funds to support the association’s tournament bureau. Also at the meeting the dues were reduced from $50 to $40. President Charles W. Hall, Secretary Jack Pirie and Treasurer Jack B. Mackie were reelected. The vice presidents were Jack Shea, W.H. Way, Dan J. Goss, Harold Sampson, John J. Martin and Thomas Boyd. There were now 1,380 PGA members, an increase of 280 over the previous year.

Ed Dudley had had a very successful year, playing the light ball, winning the Los Angeles and Western Opens. In winning the Western Open he shot one of the lower 72-hole scores on record at that time, a 280. In late December the PGA announced that Ed Dudley had won the scoring title for the year. He averaged 71.39 strokes for the thirty tournaments that he entered. Johnny Farrell played in more events than any other pro, 36, finishing second in scoring with 71.80 strokes per round. Walter Hagen ended up in third place with an average of 72.0 strokes per round. Gene Sarazen and George Von Elm, the leading money winners for the year, were in fifth and sixth place in the final averages with more than 73 strokes per round.

Bottom             Top             Back             Home

1932 - By late January it was apparent that the new heavier ball was easier to play. The winning scores on the PGA’s winter tour were lower, from three to nine strokes, in every event. The pros stated that the ball putted better and cut through the wind better than any ball they had played before. The PGA went on record that they hoped the R&A and the other powers of the world of golf would recognize it as the international ball.

Ed Dudley and Tommy Armour won the International Four-Ball in the second week of March at the Miami Country Club. They defeated the U.S. Open champion, Billy Burke, and his partner Johnny Golden in the 36-hole finals by a margin of 3&2. Dudley and Armour reached the finals by putting out Gene Sarazen and Johnny Farrell in the semifinals 3&2. Burke and Golden eliminated Harry Hampton and Neil McIntyre 2&1.

In the second week of May at the Riverton Country Club Ed Dudley won the other championship of the Section, now played at stroke play since the Section Championship was going to be played at match play. After a morning round of 74 Dudley set a new competitive course record of 69 in the afternoon to finish four strokes in front of former Section champion George B. Smith (147). Dudley took possession of the Public Ledger Cup for the year. A.B. "All" Nelson and Melrose Country Club professional Charlie Schneider tied for third with 149s. Up to that time the cup had gone to the winner of the Section Championship for one year. It was decided that the cup would remain with the stroke play event.

Qualifying for the U.S. Open was held at 20 locations in the country on the first Monday in June. There were 1,012 entries, 139 less than the year before. Ed Dudley was one of 34 golfers who were exempt from qualifying. The Philadelphia locale was The Springhaven Club and with 71 entries nine places were allotted to that site. George B. Smith was the medalist with a 73 and a 69 for 14 2. A.B. "Al" Nelson and Charlie Hoffner tied for second with 144s. The next two places went to St. Davids Golf Club assistant Bill Green and Howard Newton, the professional at the Cedarbrook Country Club who tied with 146s. Walter Brickley picked up the sixth spot with a 147. In a sudden death playoff for the last three spots The Springhaven Club’s professional Andy Campbell (148) and Felix Serafin (148) got in on the second hole. Jack Hiner (148), a former assistant at the Green Valley Country Club, prevailed over Bill Neilan (148), the professional at the North Hills Country Club for the ninth and last spot. Even though he qualified Hoffner didn’t play in the Open that year.

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. qualified for the U.S. Open at the Olympia Fields Country Club’s #1 and # courses in Chicago on that same Monday in June. Kirkwood put together rounds of 78 and 77 for 155 to make it by two strokes. The medalists, Bob MacDonald and John Bird, shot 151s and there were sixteen spots there.

The British Open was played in second week of June at Prince’s Golf Club, Sandwich, England. Gene Sarazen (283) won another major championship and he won by a large margin despite a poor last round. Sarazen’s rounds were 70, 69, 70 and 74. Macdonald Smith, the greatest player to never win a major at that time, finished second at 288. Arthur Havers finished third at 289. Percy Allis, Charles Whitcombe and Alf Padgham tied for fourth with 292 totals.

Gene Sarazen won the U.S. Open in the fourth week of June at the Fresh Meadow Country Club, Flushing, New York. Sarazen (286) put together rounds of 74, 76, 70 and 66 to finish three strokes in front of Bobby Cruickshank (289) and Phil Perkins (289). Leo Diegel finished fourth at 294. Ed Dudley (302) finished in the money tying for 14th and winning $63.34. George B. Smith (303) tied for 21st, missing the money by one stroke. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (304) tied for 23rd and Bill Green (322) also made the cut. Felix Serafin, Andy Campbell, Walter Brickley and Howard Newton missed the cut. A.B. "Al" Nelson withdrew after the first round.    

The Pennsylvania Open was at the Oakmont Country Club in the second week of July. Highland Country Club professional Vince Eldred won with a 306 score as Oakmont proved to be as difficult as advertised. Eldred’s rounds were 75, 77, 78 and 76. Oakmont’s professional and green superintendent, Emil Loeffler (309) finished second three strokes back. Ed Dudley and Perry Del Vecchio, professional at the Greensburg Country Club, tied for third with 311s.

The PGA of America announced that all members in arrears on their dues as of July 15 would be taken off the rolls. Such former members were not subject to reinstatement and would have to rejoin as new members.

In mid August Olin Dutra won the Met Open at the Lido Golf Club on Long Island. After beginning with a 76 and a 73 Dutra posted a 68 in the morning of the third day but he still trailed the leader by five strokes. A course record 65 in the last round that broke the course record on a very difficult course brought Dutra (282) a two-stroke victory over Walter Kozak (284). Joe Turnesa finished third at 288. Bobby Cruickshank, Johnny Farrell and Vic Ghezzi tied for fourth with 280s.

On August 1st Joe Kirkwood, Sr. led the qualifying on Philmont Country Club’s North Course for the PGA Championship. Kirkwood drove all night after giving an exhibition in Bradford the day before. Kirkwood stopped at his home for breakfast and then without any sleep for 24 hours he toured the North Course in 70 strokes twice for a 140 total. Kirkwood finished five strokes in front of Ed Dudley (145) who finished second in the competition for the seven open places. Clarence Hackney was third with a 146 and Philmont Country Club teaching pro Joe Coble was next at 152.Charlie Schneider and Ed Ginther, professional at the Newark Country Club tied for fifth with 153s. George B. Smith (154) birdied the first playoff hole to beat out four other professionals for the last spot.

One week later two-time tournament runner-up George Griffin, Sr. won the Philadelphia Open at the Paxon Hollow Golf Club. He had played in his first Philadelphia Open in 1910 as a teenage shop assistant. Griffin took home $350 with his two-day three-over-par 291 as he nipped Ed Dudley (292) by one stroke. Griffin’s rounds were 72, 72, 71 and 76. Clarence Hackney (293), winner of the tournament the two previous years, and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (293) finished two strokes back of the winner. The Golf Association of Philadelphia provided five money prizes for pros affiliated with their member clubs who did not finish in the top money places. The purse totaled $955. Secretary of the GAP, Francis B. Warner, arranged transportation for the benefit of those who did not have automobiles.

George B. Smith
1932 Section Champion

The PGA Championship was played in early September at the Keller Golf Club in St. Paul, Minnesota. Of the seven Section members who had qualified locally for the PGA Championship only Dudley and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. qualified for the match play. They had tied for third in the qualifying with 145 totals. Olin Dutra was the low qualifier at (71-69) 140. Clarence Hackney (153) lost out in a ten-man playoff for the last two spots. The sudden death playoff lasted just one hole as two players made birdie threes and the other eight went home. Joe Coble, Charlie Schneider, Ed Ginther and George B. Smith also failed to qualify. Kirkwood lost in the first round one-down to John Kinder. Dudley won three matches and reached the semifinals. On the way to the semifinals Dudley beat Joe Turnesa 8&7, Henry Picard 10&9 and Al Collins on the 38th hole. In the semifinals Dudley lost to Olin Dutra who went on to win the championship over Frank Walsh 3&2. It took 38 holes for Walsh to make it past the defending champion Tom Creavy in the semifinals.

The tournament committee had heeded the proposals from some of the previous Section meetings and changed the Section Championship to a match play format with an 18-hole qualifying round. The tournament was also moved to the fall after having been played in the early part of the year every year except one. Played at the Concord Country Club in late September the championship was won for a third time by George B. Smith. He defeated Clarence Hackney on the 37th hole in the finals. George Griffin, Sr., won the qualifying medal with a one-under-par 69. Ed Dudley, the host professional, did not play in the tournament. He had sprained his ankle in an exhibition match the day before and walking 36 holes a day would not have been possible. In the semifinals Smith defeated John Beadle 2&1 and Hackney defeated Howard Jervis, the professional at the Tredyffrin Country Club 2&1.

Herb Jewson
Philadelphia Section President
1924-27 & 1933-34
Herb Jewson was returned to the office of president at the Section’s annual meeting on the first Monday of November at McCallister’s restaurant in Philadelphia. Jewson had been the president for four years from 1924 to 1927. He was elected because he had done such outstanding work as the secretary-treasurer. Two years before when Jewson was elected treasurer the Section had no money in their bank account and now they had $653.65. However, only $412.65 was immediately available since another bank, the Jenkintown Citizens Bank had closed. Because of the problems the year before the officers probably thought they should keep the funds in more than one bank but they now had $241 in two closed banks. For the first time the Section members were paying their national dues to the PGA of America and their Section dues to the Section treasurer. Until then the Section collected both of the dues and then in turn passed the national’s money on to the national office. Ed Dudley, who ran second in the race against Jewson, automatically became first vice president. Ed Ginther was elected second vice president. A.B. "Al" Nelson was elected secretary-treasurer. George Low, Sr. was made an honorary vice president of the Section on a motion presented by Dudley. Low had been the first president of the old Eastern Professional Golfers’ Association and had been runner-up in the 1899 U.S. Open. Dudley was appointed tournament chairman and he promptly laid out a plan for the coming season at the meeting. He stated that there would be three sweepstakes events with each followed by a dinner and a meeting. Any professional who did not stay for the meeting would be fined. The pro-am championship would be named the Wasserman Cup for Philmont member Howard Wasserman who had donated a trophy for the competition. A professional could bring any amateur that he wanted to, but for the pro-lady championship the professional had to play with a member of his club. There also would be three handicap pro-ams for amateurs who scored in the 90s and 100s. Thirty-seven Section members were in attendance. A meeting was scheduled for the second week in December to consult with their delegates following their return from the national meeting.

The national PGA meeting was held at the Pere Marquette Hotel in Peoria, Illinois in the third week of November. The delegates elected their first American born President, George R. Jacobus. Jack B. Mackie was reelected treasurer and R.W. "Doc" Treacy was elected secretary. The vice presidents were Thomas Boyd, James Wilson, Dan J. Goss, Harold Sampson, Fred Brand and Wolf C. Riman. The elimination of alternates to the PGA Championship was the big news from the meeting. There was a story going around that an alternate had attempted to buy a place in the championship. As a result of this if any qualifier dropped out his place would remain vacant. Herb Jewson and A.B. "Al" Nelson represented the Philadelphia Section.

In late November the leading playing professionals in the country formed an association to promote open tournaments in the United States and Canada. Two of these professionals were Ed Dudley and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. Walter Hagen’s manager, Bob Harlow, was hired to manage their affairs. He stated that the group would not operate any tournaments in opposition to the PGA schedule. Harlow explained that the members of the new group were not satisfied with schedule offered by the PGA Tournament Bureau. The winter tour purses had totaled $62,000 the previous year but the new winter schedule was only offering $43,000. The PGA stated that the prize money would compare favorably with other years considering the present business conditions. President George Jacobus stated that the PGA appreciates the value of the playing professionals and is doing all it can to help. Although they made up only a small percentage of the membership one-fourth of the PGA budget went to the promotion of money tournaments. Within a few days the PGA announced the hiring of a Chicago newspaperman to run their tournament bureau.

The country was going through the Great Depression and there were destitute PGA members. In mid December President George Jacobus appointed an unemployment relief committee made up of the Section presidents. The presidents would make a report on any member who was unable to help himself and the association would see that he was provided for.

Golf balls had been selling for $2 a dozen during the first half of the year but the price had cracked at the end of June. It was predicted that balls would sell for $1 to $1.25 a dozen the next year. This was a real bargain since the gutta-percha golf ball had sold for $3.50 to $4 per dozen in 1899.

Bottom             Top             Back             Home

1933 - In January Ed Dudley was named golf professional at the new Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. He was a native of Georgia and was the first choice of Bobby Jones for this position from the time the club was formed. The plans were for him to be at Augusta in the winter and at Concord Country Club in the summer.

Early in the year, Section Secretary-Treasurer A.B. "Al" Nelson received word that Denny Shute had been selected as the new professional at Llanerch Country Club. An outstanding player and Ryder Cup team member in 1931, Shute had again been voted onto the team for the 1933 matches.

In mid January Jim Gallagher, the PGA clinic man, visited the pros in Philadelphia to give them a demonstration on the art of club making. 41 Section members turned out for the one-day clinic. It was a big help to the younger pros as well as the older pros who had to learn some of the art all over again because so many golfers were using steel shafts. Fitting the golfers with the new steel shafts was a little bit different from the wooden shafts.

Denny Shute won the Gasparilla Open in Tampa, Florida in the second week of February. The last day he shot a 67 in the morning and a course record 63 in the afternoon to catch Willie Macfarlane at 272. Shute’s first two rounds were a pair of 71s and par was 70. Shute beat Macfarlane with a par on the first hole of a sudden-death playoff. First prize was $300. Johnny Revolta (276), Horton Smith (279), and Craig Wood (280) were third, fourth, and fifth.

Joe Kirkwood, Sr. won the 31st North and South Open in late March at the Pinehurst #2 Course. His 277 score set a new tournament record by four strokes and he won by five strokes, as he collected the $1,200 first prize. Kirkwood’s four rounds were 68, 67, 70 and 72. He had stopped giving his trick shot exhibitions for two months and he felt that this helped his game, as he did not once drive off a fairway in the 72 holes. Harry Cooper finished second at 282. Craig Wood and Horton Smith tied for third with 285s. Henry Picard was next at 286. Denny Shute (291) tied for 11th.

U.S. Open qualifying was held at the Old York Road Country Club in Jenkintown on the third Monday in May. At par 69 and 6,100 yards the 55 contestants all thought the scoring would be very low. At the end of the day the lowest score was 150, twelve over par. Bill Neilan, Joe Brennan now the assistant professional at the Hi-Top Country Club, John W. Campbell the professional at the Holmesburg Golf Club and amateur Will Gunn, Jr. all posted 150s. Ed Ginther and Johnny Moyer tied for fifth with 151s. Pete Henry, Sr., assistant to Denny Shute at the Llanerch Country Club also qualified with a 152. Shute, Ed Dudley, Joe Kirkwood, Sr. and George B. Smith were exempt from qualifying for having finished in the top 30 in the Open the year before. Kirkwood was now representing the DuPont Penns Grove Country Club. The usual top professionals from the Section and some from outside the Section were there but they couldn’t make any low scores that day.

The Met Open was played in the fourth week of May over the Winged Foot Golf Club’s testing West Course. The winner was Willie Macfarlane with rounds of 72, 72, 75 and 72. Macfarlane (291) made birdie 3s on the last two holes to edge out Paul Runyan (292) by one stroke. Dick Metz finished third at 293 and the defending champion Olin Dutra was next with a 295.

Denny Shute
Won 1933 British Open
Won PGA 1936 &1937
A Philadelphia Section PGA stroke play championship was played at Ashbourne Country Club before a gallery of several hundred in late May. Ed Dudley played the last nine holes in 33 strokes to win the other Section Championship again with a par score of 71 and 69 for 140. Dudley edged out Clarence Hackney (141) by one stroke. Charlie Schneider and Denny Shute finished two strokes back in a tie for third with 142s. Hackney was trying to take permanent possession of the Public Ledger Cup as he already had two legs on it but the cup was Dudley’s to keep for another year with his victory.

The U.S. Open was played near Chicago during the second week in June. Six Section members had qualified in mid May and four more were exempt. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (296) tied for ninth, winning $156.25 and Denny Shute (301) tied for 21st winning the next to last money prize of $50. Bill Neilan (312) made the cut but missed the money as an amateur, Johnny Goodman, won the tournament. Goodman’s rounds were 75, 66, 70 and 76 for 287. Ralph Guldahl finished second at 288 and Craig Wood was next with a 290. Walter Hagen and Tommy Armour tied for fourth with 292s.George Smith, Ed Dudley, John Campbell, Ed Ginther, Pete Henry, Joe Brennan and Johnny Moyer missed the cut.

The Ryder Cup matches were at Southport, England in late June. That year the team had been selected by a vote of the PGA Section presidents and the Executive Committee of the PGA of America. Section members Ed Dudley and Denny Shute along with Leo Diegel who would become a Section member later that year were on the team. The two days of matches were all even as the last pairing left on the course, Shute and his opponent, approached the final green all even. Shute three putted and the cup went back to Britain. Shute also lost his foursome match in partnership with Olin Dutra by 3&2. Dudley won his foursome match in partnership with Billy Burke one-up and he wasn’t called on for the singles matches. At that point the record stood at two wins for each country and no team had won on foreign soil. The British captain J.H. Taylor took a hard line and had his players up for early morning runs. Again Henry Cotton qualified for the British team but was not a member of the team. He was working in Belgium and since the Cup rules stated that only home-born players domiciled in their own country could participate. Partly due to a six-year recess for World War II the British would not win again for 24 years.

Denny Shute recovered from his Ryder Cup failure to win the British Open in the first week of July at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club, St. Andrews, Scotland. Ed Dudley opened up with a 31 on the first nine, which Bernard Darwin called an absurd score.  It included an eagle two at the seventh hole. That helped him shoot a 70, which trailed the leader Walter Hagen by two strokes. The host professional Andra Kirkaldy, was performing his ceremonial duty of holding the flagstick at the 18th green for each player. He was the father of David Kirkaldy, who had been the professional at the Aronimink Golf Club and the Brinton Lake Club (Concord) in the early 1920s. At the halfway point Walter Hagen led Ed Dudley by one stroke at 140. The wind came up for the 36-hole final day. Leo Diegel and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. were among five players tied for the lead after three rounds at 216, as Dudley and Craig Wood trailed by one stroke. In the fourth round Shute shot his fourth consecutive 73 and tied Wood at 292. The next day Shute won the 36-hole playoff by five strokes. In the playoff Shute put together a 75 and a 74 for 149 against Wood’s 78 and 76 for 154. This was the first time an American had won while playing in the championship for the first time. The British felt that this was almost as good as having one of their own win it. Shute’s father, also a golf professional, had done his apprenticeship at St. Andrews and his grandmother was still living in Scotland when he won. Eight of the first fourteen in the championship were Americans. Diegel, who would be the professional at Philmont Country Club later that year, finished tied for third with Gene Sarazen and Syd Easterbrook at 293. Dudley (295) tied for seventh, and Kirkwood (297) finished tied for 14th. First prize was 100 pound sterling, which was equal to about $370.

The Country Club of Scranton hosted the Pennsylvania Open in the third week of July. Hollywood Country Club assistant pro Dick Metz took the title to New Jersey with rounds of 70, 70, 72 and 73 for a three-under-par 285. Metz won $550 of the $1,500 at stake. There were eight money prizes. The host professional and a past champion, Felix Serafin, finished second at even par 288. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. and Pittsburgh’s Ted Luther tied for third at 290. Willie Macfarlane and Sam Parks tied for fifth with 297s. The tournament drew a starting field of over 140 players and many were players with national reputations.

In late July the PGA Executive Committee held a telegraphic poll and voted 8 to 2 to exempt the Ryder Cup Team members from qualifying for the PGA Championship. This was good news for Section members Ed Dudley and Denny Shute and the rest of the Ryder Cup Team as most of them were still out of the country when their Sections were holding the qualifying rounds.

On the last Friday of July the Section held qualifying for the PGA Championship at the Llanerch Country Club. Buzz Campbell led the scoring by six strokes with a pair of one under par 71s for 142. Tied for second with 148s were Clarence Hackney, Al Heron, and Harry Markel. Bruce Coltart, the assistant to his father Frank at the Philadelphia Country Club was next at 149. Joe Brennan and Charlie Schneider also made the grade with 150s. There were eight places available and Frank H. Wood, (151) the professional at the Jeffersonville Golf Club, beat George Low, Jr. (151) for the last spot, by making two pars in a sudden-death playoff. The Ryder Cup team members Ed Dudley and Denny Shute were exempt from qualifying.

Cricket Club’s Flourtown Course. In his first tournament since returning from the British Open Ed Dudley won the two-day event with a four over par 288. His four rounds of 72, 72, 75 and 69, which established a 72-hole record for the Philly Open, beat out the second place finisher Felix Serafin (297) by nine strokes. Dudley took away a check for $350 and a gold medal with the image of Bobby Jones on it. North Jersey’s William Malcolm finished third with a 302. Malcolm had been a caddy at the Cricket Club’s St. Martins Course 25 years before. In fourth place was Joe Brennan (303), now the assistant pro at the Oak Terrace Country Club. Long Island’s Charles Lacey (306), who had been the assistant pro at the Cricket Club five years before, won fifth money. The weather was so hot that only 47 of the 125 players who began play completed the four rounds. Dudley then left on a three-tournament tour, the PGA, the Canadian Open in Toronto, and the Western Open in Chicago. There were three money prizes for Golf Association of Philadelphia pros that weren’t among the other money winners. The prizes added up to $900.

In the second week of August Ed Dudley (143) and Charlie Schneider (145) qualified on site for the 32-man field in the PGA Championship. All of the players with scores of 146 and better qualified. Jimmy Hines (70-68) and Mortie Dutra (72-66) tied for the medal with 138s. Denny Shute, the British Open champion, and Walter Hagen lined up some exhibitions in England and didn’t arrive home in time to play in their championship at the Blue Mound Country Club in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Frank H. Wood, Clarence Hackney, Bruce Coltart, Al Heron, Joe Brennan, Buzz Campbell and Harry Markel failed to qualify. Schneider lost in the first round to Al Espinosa 3&2. Dudley won two matches before losing in the quarterfinal round to Gene Sarazen by 6&5. In the first round Dudley beat Ben Pautke 2&1 and he put out Clarence Clark in the second round 3&1. Sarazen went on to win the title and $1,000 by beating Willie Goggin 5&4. In the semifinals Sarazen eliminated Johnny Farrell 5&4 and Goggin beat Hines one-down. The purse was $7,200.

The next week in August Joe Kirkwood, Sr. won the Canadian Open in Toronto by eight strokes. Kirkwood kept getting better as the tournament progressed. He finished with an eagle on the last hole for a 69, which added to his earlier rounds of 71, 72 and 70 gave him a 282 total. Harry Cooper (290) and Lex Robson (290) tied for second. Ralph Guldahl finished fourth with a 291. Four-time Canadian Open champion Leo Diegel, playing out of Agua Caliente, Mexico tied for fifth with Johnny Farrell and Al Houghton at 292.

The Section Championship was played at the Huntingdon Valley Country Club in late August. The tournament was held on the A and B nines of the 27-hole course. There were some unusual happenings in the qualifying. Howard Slattery, now the professional at the Valley Forge Golf Club, started the front nine in the qualifying round with three birdies and a hole-in-one on the fifth hole to stand five-under-par after the first seven holes. He finished the front side in 31 and was the medalist with a 70. The defending champion, George B. Smith, lost out in a playoff for the last place in the qualifying. After the pairings were made for the match play which commenced that afternoon Slattery announced that he was withdrawing because he had a commitment to a full schedule of golf lessons. At this point the match play pairings were set and could not be changed. Smith was out and Slattery’s opponent received a bye. It was hard to believe this happened, as Slattery had been the tournament chairman a few years before.

There was an added attraction at the Section Championship. As a matter of courtesy the new British Open champion Denny Shute played in the qualifying round at Huntingdon Valley. He had previously announced that it would not be possible for him to compete in the match play as he had an exhibition tour starting the next day. He was paired with his manager and former assistant, Pete Henry, Sr. in a four-ball match against two veteran pros Jack Campbell and George Low, Sr. the host professional. Low and Campbell proved that they could still play as they defeated Shute and Henry 3&2. Henry went on to be the Acushnet (Titleist) salesman and distributor for the Middle Atlantic States.

Charlie Schneider
1933 Section Champion
After that the pros got down to the business of the match play for the Section Championship. Charlie Schneider, who had gotten his start as a caddy at the old Huntingdon Valley Country Club course in Noble, won the championship. He defeated another product of the Philadelphia caddy yards, Joe Brennan, in the 36-hole final by the count of 9&8. In the semifinals Schneider defeated George Low, Jr. one-down and Brennan defeated A.B. "Al" Nelson one-down.

On September 2nd, two days after the Section Championship ended, the PGA Tour came to Hershey for the first annual Hershey Open. Ed Dudley finished off another successful year by adding another victory to his Philadelphia Open title and Section stroke play victory. His two-day scores of 73, 72, 70 and 73 for a four-under-par 288 total won by 10 strokes and earned him $500 from the $1,500 purse. Dudley also won $50 each day for the low round of the day. Al Espinosa, the second place finisher with 298, won $300. George Von Elm finished third with a 299. Willie MacFarlane and Johnny Farrell tied for fourth at 300.

Leo Diegel
Won 2 PGA Championships
Won 4 Canadian Opens
Played on 4 Ryder Cup teams
In late October, Ryder Cup Team member and two-time National PGA champion Leo Diegel signed a contract to become the professional at the Philmont Country Club. Philmont officials announced that Diegel would officially start in March. He had recently finished second in the Eastern Open and he was the chairman of the National PGA tournament committee. Three members of the 1933 Ryder Cup Team were now employed in the Section. On the 00111first Sunday in November Leo Diegel was on the West Coast winning the Southern California Open in Los Angeles. He put together a six-under-par 282 and won by five strokes over Willie Hunter.

On the first Sunday in November Leo Diegel was on the West Coast winning the Southern California Open in Los Angeles. He put together four rounds of 69, 74, 70 and 69 for a six-under-par 282 that won by five strokes over Willie Hunter (287). Ray Mangrum finished third at 291and Fay Coleman was next with a 292. Diegel had also won the tournament in 1930.

The next day, the first Monday in November, the Section’s annual meeting was at McCallister’s restaurant in Philadelphia. Section President Herb Jewson and the other officers were reelected. The main topic of discussion at the meeting was the desire to establish strict requirements in playing and teaching for PGA membership. One proposal would make it necessary to turn in at least three scores of 75 or better in recognized tournaments. The Philadelphia Section was one of several Sections wishing to create higher standards for membership and eliminate incompetents from recognition as bonfire professionals. The secretary-treasurer reported that the Section had a surplus of $272 after having paid out $1850 for prizes, tournament expenses and incidentals during the year. Jewson and Clarence Hackney were elected as delegates to the national PGA meeting scheduled for later in the month. They were being sent to the meeting with a mandate to bring the next year’s PGA Championship to Philadelphia. The Llanerch Country Club that had put in a bid for it. They were told to ask for September dates since the U.S. Open was being held at the Merion Cricket Club in June. Tournament chairman, Dudley, told the pros at the meeting that he wanted them to make every effort to get all the pros, their assistants, and the amateurs to send in their entries for the U.S. Open qualifying in May. He wanted 200 entries from the Philadelphia area so they could have more Section members in the starting field.

The national PGA meeting was held in Chicago at the Morrison Hotel third week of November. The officers (President George R. Jacobus, Secretary R.W. "Doc" Treacy and Treasurer Jack B. Mackie) were all reelected. The vice presidents were James Wilson, Dan J. Goss, Harold Sampson, Fred Brand and Wolf C. Riman. The delegates decided to exempt the Ryder Cup team members from qualifying for the matches at their championship in the years that the matches were being played. Also the delegates were there to try to adopt a uniform plan for the instruction of the game but there were many heated debates among the professionals concerning the proper method. There were now 25 PGA Sections. The national dues were reduced again, this time to $25 for Class A members. The dues for the assistants (Class D) were still $5. The pros were also paying Section dues. Leo Diegel was the tournament chairman for what comprised a PGA Tour at that time.

In mid December Leo Diegel won again in California. He won the California Open at Long Beach. Diegel shot another six-under-par 282 to win by four over Ky Laffoon and Olin Dutra who tied for second with 286s. Willie Hunter was next at 287. Diegel’s rounds were 70, 71, 72 and 69.

It had become a ritual for Gene Sarazen to pick his top ten tournament professionals for the year. When his list was published in late December Denny Shute, the British Open champion, was #1 on the list. #2 was Craig Wood. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. was #3 and Leo Diegel #5.

Bottom             Top             Back             Home

1934 - In January Ed Dudley became the professional at the Philadelphia Country Club. Since he had been a member of the Ryder Cup team in 1933 he was very well known in the world of golf and applications for the vacant head pro position at the Concord Country Club came from everywhere. Some of the applicants were well known professionals from other countries. Concord received a total of 219 applications. The Melrose Country Club head professional and Section champion Charlie Schneider was selected as Concord’s new professional over some prominent national names such as Paul Runyan, Dick Metz, and Johnny Revolta.

Leo Diegel and Denny Shute were on the PGA Winter Tour. Diegel was on the West Coast and Shute was in Florida. The PGA was having problems getting a schedule organized with conflicting events being played on both coasts at the same time of the year.

In late February Denny Shute won the Gasparilla Open in Tampa, Florida for the second year in a row. For the second straight year he won in a playoff. After tying with Horton Smith at three-under-par 277, Shute won a playoff the next day with a 70 against a 72 for Smith. Shute’s tournament rounds were 67, 68, 70 and 72. Paul Runyan and Willie Macfarlane tied for third with 282s. First prize was $500 and second was $350. They each received an additional $75 for participating in the playoff, which was customary at the time, if the players had to play an extra day.

Denny Shute and Al Espinosa won the International Four-Ball tournament in Miami in the first week of March. Shute birdied the 36th hole to beat the defending champions Paul Runyan and Horton Smith one-down and win the tournament. To reach the finals Shute-Espinosa team defeated the team of Bill Mehlhorn-Wiffy Cox 5&4 and the Runyan-Smith team put out the Walter Hagen-Tom Creavy team 10&9.

Two days before the first Masters tournament got under way in Augusta, Georgia, Joe Kirkwood, Sr. and Gene Sarazen boarded a ship in Miami and they were off on a world tour to give their golf exhibitions. The tour would last almost one year and cover 100,000 miles. First they visited South America returning to the states in time for the U.S. Open at Merion. Then they were off to the British Open and a tour of Europe. After that the two pros played their way across Canada and then they headed for the Far East where they visited eight countries including China, Japan and Australia.

The first Masters tournament was played at the Augusta National Golf Club in the fourth week of March. Ed Dudley hosted the event and shot 288 to finish fifth, four strokes off Horton Smith’s winning score of 284. On the second day Dudley shot a 69. No one had a lower score in the tournament. Three others also shot 69s later in the tournament and that was now the competitive course record. Denny Shute (294) tied for 13th and Leo Diegel (295) tied for 16th. Smith’s rounds were 70, 72, 70 and 72. Craig Wood finished one stroke out of first place with a 285. Paul Runyan and Billy Burke tied for third with 286s. There were 61 professionals and amateurs in the field by invitation. The club held a calcutta, where all the entries were auctioned off. The members had an understanding among themselves, in which Bobby Jones would sell for the highest price. The calcutta auction generated $4,543, which wasn’t much less than the $5,000 purse that the professionals were competing for. First prize was $1,500. Dudley won $400 for his fifth place finish. It took a score of 293 or better to make the money.

For two years the PGA had been working to create a uniform code for the instruction of golf. On May 4th A.B. "Al" Nelson, the Section secretary, wrote to George Jacobus, the PGA president, concerning the professionals that had been selected for the Section’s Examining Board. The Examining Board would test every member’s knowledge of the plan and the future applicants for membership also. No one was to be admitted to the PGA unless he knew the adopted PGA teaching method and taught it to his pupils. The professionals selected for the board were Herb Jewson, Ed Dudley, George Sayers, Bill Leach, Dave Cuthbert, Alec Duncan, and Nelson.

A Philadelphia Section stroke play championship was played at the Philadelphia Country Club’s Spring Mill Course on the first Monday of May and Ed Dudley was the winner of this other Section Championship for the fourth year in a row and the third consecutive year at stroke play. This time he took permanent possession of the Public Ledger Cup, as it was the tradition in golf that if someone won a cup or trophy three straight years he got to keep it. Dudley’s 71 and 77 for a 148 total finished four ahead of George Low, Jr. (152). Denny Shute (153) and Leo Diegel (154) finished third and fourth. The purse was $130 and first prize was $50. The entry fee was $5.

Ed Dudley didn’t get the turnout of 200 he wanted for the U.S. Open qualifying rounds but 151 did enter. Qualifying was held on the second Monday of May at the Huntingdon Valley Country Club. The Philadelphia area had been allotted 16 places. New York had 16 spots also. Due to the size of the field everyone didn’t complete the 36-holes and several had to come back and finish the next day. Clarence Ehresman, now the professional at the Eagles Mere Country Club, came back home to win the medal by eight strokes with a 69 and a 71 for an even par 140. Some of the spots were won by pros from outside the region and the amateurs won three of the places. Leo Diegel, Denny Shute, and Joe Kirkwood, Sr. were exempt. Joe Brennan (149), Ralph Hutchison (150) and Ed Dudley (150) made it easily. Thirty-five years after finishing second in the U.S. Open George Low, Sr. (151) qualified on his home course to play in the championship again. Now 60 years old, the host pro won one of the places with the help of a first round 69. Felix Serafin, Gene Kunes, the teaching pro at the Philadelphia Country Club, and George Griffin, Sr. equaled Low’s score of 151.George Sayers (152), who would be the host pro for the championship at Merion, and Johnny Schuebel (152) now the professional at the Oak Terrace Country Club, also qualified, but not until all the scoring was completed on Tuesday. The scores of 152 made it on the number without a playoff.

During the qualifying for the Open Frank H. Wood was stricken with pneumonia and he died nine days later. The Jeffersonville Golf Club professional was only 32 years old. He was from Massachusetts having come to Philadelphia with Joe Capello to be his assistant at the Aronimink Golf Club’s new Donald Ross course. Wood and Capello were the same age and had grown up together in Manchester. For a number of years after that the Wood Memorial Open tournament was played at Jeffersonville.

The Met Open was held at the Echo Lake Country Club in New Jersey during the fourth week of May. Paul Runyan won with rounds of 73, 72, 71 and 71 for 287. Runyan holed a five-foot putt for a par on the last green to edge out Walter Hagen (288) by one stroke. Wiffy Cox finished third at 288 and Craig Wood was next at 291.

The U.S. Open returned to the Philadelphia area after a 24-year absence. Played at the Merion Cricket Club’s East Course in early June the host pro was George Sayers,  who was in the first pairing on Thursday morning at 7:30 a.m. Olin Dutra came from eight strokes back after 36 holes to win the championship with a 13-over-par 293 score. Dutra’s rounds were 76, 74, 71and 72. Gene Sarazen (294) lost by one stroke after taking a seven on the 11th hole during the last round. Harry Cooper, Bobby Cruickshank and Wiffy Cox tied for third with 295s. Thirteen Section professionals were in the starting field for the championship and six made the cut. Joe Kirkwood, Sr. (300) and Leo Diegel (303) led the Section pros in the scoring and finished in the money tying for 12th and 17th. Ed Dudley (309), Denny Shute (311), Clarence Ehresman (314) and Johnny Schuebel (319) made the cut but missed the money. Felix Serafin, Ralph Hutchison, George Griffin, Sayers and Gene Kunes missed the cut. The purse totaled $5,000. Joe Brennan withdrew in the second round and George Low, Sr. withdrew in the first round.

Two days after the U.S. Open ended 103 players teed off in the Philadelphia Open on Philmont Country Club’s North Course. Herman Barron was the winner in spite of shooting a seven-over-par 77 in the last round while playing in a heavy rainstorm. The Port Chester, New York professional collected $400 for the win. Barron shot a one-under-par 69 in each of the first three rounds and finished with a 284 total. Barron, who was unattached, had missed the money at the U.S. Open. He almost didn’t enter but then decided to put up the $5 entry fee. Los Angeles professional Jimmy Thomson finished second three strokes back at 287. Thomson had a 31 on the front nine and a 31 on the back nine during the tournament. Philmont had put up $100 for the first contestant who broke the course record of 69. In the second round Ed Dudley shot a 67 and Thomson who was paired with him had a 68. Philmont very generously gave each of them $100. In addition to that the purse was $1,000. Dudley finished third with a 290. Ted Turner, the new playing pro at the Pine Valley Golf Club, was playing in his first tournament in the Section. Turner (295) came in with a 69 in the last round to move up to the fourth position. Dudley’s new assistant at the Philadelphia Country Club, Gene Kunes (296), was next in fifth place.

Section qualifying for the PGA Championship was held at the Riverton Country Club in mid June. Any Section member who wanted to enter the qualifying rounds had to have his dues paid by June 10. Based on 65 members who had paid their dues on time the Section had been allotted eight places. There were 32 entries. On a very windy day Ted Turner, the current holder of the Massachusetts Open title, led the scoring with a 71-73 for a two-over-par 144. Gene Kunes, who had succeeded the late Frank H. Wood as the professional at the Jeffersonville Golf Club, and A.B. "Al" Nelson, were second at 147. Next were Clarence Hackney and Hugh McInnes, the professional at the Country Club of York with 149s. The last three places went to George Sayers, Ralph Hutchison and Ed Ginther. They had tied for the last three spots with Jock MacKenzie at 150 and had eliminated him in a sudden-death playoff. Sayers and Hutchison got in with pars on the first hole and Ginther earned the last spot with a par on the second hole. As the day went on, it got windier and the last players finished in a gale and rain. The PGA accepted no alternates for the tournament. If a qualifier could not play in the tournament he was not replaced. Ed Dudley, Leo Diegel, and Denny Shute were exempt as members of the Ryder Cup Team.

Denny Shute was fortunate that he didn’t have to qualify for the PGA Championship because in late June he was in England defending his British Open title at the at the Royal St. George’s Golf Club, Sandwich, England. Everyone, including Shute, had to pass through a pre tournament qualifier of 36-holes for the British Open. Henry Cotton won by five strokes in spite of a last round 79. Cotton’s first three rounds were 67 65 and 72, which allowed him to finish with a score of 283. Sid Brews finished second at 288 and Alf Padgham was next at 290. Joe Kirkwood Sr., Macdonald Smith and Marcel Dallemagne tied for fourth with 292s. Shute finished 20th with a score of 301.

Two Ryder Cup teammates from the year before met in the finals of the Pro-Lady Championship on the second Tuesday of July. Ed Dudley and former national women’s amateur champion Florence Vanderbeck, defeated Leo Diegel and his partner for the title. The tournament was held at the Ashbourne Country Club.

New York’s Willie Macfarlane won the Pennsylvania Open in the third week of July. Played at the Oakmont Country Club, Macfarlane finished four in front of two Pittsburgh professionals, Sam Parks, Jr. (298) and Perry Del Vecchio (298). Macfarlane put together rounds of 76, 69, 71 and 72 for a six over par 294, which was a 72-hole record on that course by four strokes. First place was worth $600. Bill Mehlhorn (299) finished fourth and Al Espinosa (300) fifth. Denny Shute (302) finished sixth and he was the only Philadelphia Section pro who made the money. A gallery of 5,000 witnessed the final round.

Four days later in July the PGA Championship was played at the Park Club in Buffalo, New York. Five Section pros made it through the 36-hole qualifying at Buffalo for the 32 places in the match play. Gene Kunes led the Philadelphia pros with a 141. Ted Turner and A.B. "Al" Nelson were next with 145s. Denny Shute and Leo Diegel posted 146s. Shute and Diegel survived a ten-man playoff for the last eight spots that began at 8pm. The medalist was Bob Crowley with a (67-71) 138. Ed Dudley, Clarence Hackney, Ed Ginther, George Sayers, Ralph Hutchison and Hugh McInnes didn’t make it through the qualifying test. Shute and Kunes each won three matches to reach the semifinals. Shute lost 2&1 to Craig Wood who he had beaten in a playoff for the British Open the year before. To reach the semifinals Shute beat Walter Hagen 4&3, then he defeated Ky Laffoon 3&2 and in the third round he eliminated Al Houghton 6&5. Kunes lost 4&2 to Paul Runyan who then defeated Wood in 38 holes for the title. Four years before that Runyan had worked for Craig Wood as his assistant. In his march to the semifinals Kunes beat Orville White 3&2, Johnny Revolta 2&1 and Crowley 4&3. Turner won his first match by getting past Willie Goggin in 37 holes and then he lost to Crowley one-down. Nelson lost in the first round to Tommy Armour 4&3 and Diegel went out in the first round 4&2 to Fay Coleman. All of the matches were 36 holes. For the fourth straight year the purse was $7,200. All who failed to qualify for the match play were paid mileage money. Those who lived more than 2,000 miles from Buffalo received three cents per mile. Those who lived less than 2,000 miles and more than 50 miles received two cents per mile.

The Central Pennsylvania Open was held at the Reading Country Club on the first Monday in August. The one-day 36-hole tournament ended in a three-way tie. George B. Smith (74-75), Clarence Hackney (77-72) and Angelo Paul (76-73), the assistant pro at the Valley Forge Golf Club, posted seven-over-par 149s. Valley Country Club professional Terl Johnson finished fourth with a 151. None of the entrants could break par in either of the rounds. Smith, now the professional at the Spring Hill Country Club, won the playoff that was held almost two weeks later with a 71 against a 74 for Paul and an 81 for Hackney. This was his second Central Pennsylvania Open title.

In the second week in August Leo Diegel won the Walter Hagen Tournament in Rochester, New York. In the last round he came through with a course record tying 66 to go with his earlier rounds of 70, 69 and 71 to finish at eight-under-par 276. Ky Laffoon (278) finished second. Harry Cooper tied Willie Macfarlane tied for third with 282s.

Gene Kunes
Semifinalist at the PGA
Section Champion
The Section Championship was played at North Hills Country Club in late August without the Section’s three Ryder Cup team members, Ed Dudley, Denny Shute, and Leo Diegel who did not enter. They might not have entered because the Hershey Open was played two days after this tournament. Gene Kunes won the qualifying medal with a 74. The low sixteen players qualified. Kunes, who was 25 and his assistant Bud Lewis, who was also 25 met in the finals. The final, played over 36-holes, ended in favor of Kunes by a margin of 5&4. In the semifinals Kunes defeated Harry Markel by 4&3 and Lewis beat Schneider 3&1. The host professional was Bill Neilan.

On August 31st, two days after the Section Championship ended, the pros teed off in the Hershey Open. The purse was increased to $2,500 and an admission fee of 99 cents was charged. Ed Dudley (291) and Joe Turnesa (291) tied for second five strokes back of the winner Ky Laffoon who put together rounds of 71, 72, 72 and 71 for 286. Laffoon, playing out of Denver, had worked for Dudley as an assistant in Oklahoma when he was 13 years old. He won $600 and set a new Hershey Open record with his six-under-par 286. Willie Macfarlane finished fourth at 294 and Henry Picard was next with a 295, which was made possible by a course record 67 in the first round. Six Section professionals won money from the 20 money prizes offered. Ted Turner (298) tied for 8th, Denny Shute (301) tied for 14th and Charles Schneider (303) tied for 17th. Gene Kunes and Terl Johnson tied for 20th with 305s.

Denny Shute won the 72-hole Rivervale Open in New Jersey in mid September with rounds of 72, 68, 73 and 70 for a score of 283, five under par. He won $600. Shute finished nine strokes in front of Felix Serafin and Bill Goldbeck who tied for second with a 292. Goldbeck was the brother of Lew Goldbeck and a former professional at the Buck Hill Golf Club and the Wolf Hollow Country Club. Wiffy Cox (293) finished fourth, one stroke ahead of Charles Lacey (294) and Joe Turnesa (294) who tied for fifth.

Leo Diegel was still playing well as he won the $2,500 New England PGA. Played in Providence, Rhode Island in the third week of September first prize was $500. Diegel put together rounds of 70, 72, 70 and 71 edged out Denny Shute (284) and Joe Turnesa (284) by one stroke with his five-under-par 283 score. Turnesa putted with one hand in that tournament. Diegel won $500 from the $2,500 purse.

A few weeks later it was announced that 28-year-old Henry Picard would be the new head pro at Hershey Country Club on November 1st. In the Hershey Open Picard had led after 36 holes while setting a new course record with a first-round 67. He had finished fifth winning $200.

In mid October Leo Diegel and Denny Shute left for a ten-week tour of Australia and New Zealand. They were members of a six-man team of American professionals chosen to play matches against the Australian professionals and compete in their tournaments. The other members of the team were Craig Wood, Paul Runyan, Ky Laffoon, and Harry Cooper. Diegel played some of the best golf of his career. In late November Diegel beat Shute in the finals of a tournament in Melbourne and one week later he and Paul Runyan tied for first in a tournament that was shortened to 36-holes due to rain. Three days later Diegel won in Adelaide with a 282 total. Diegel didn’t receive all this money though because the winnings of the team members was pooled and divided equally among the six professionals. Jimmy Thomson made out the best since he went to Australia on his own and won the Melbourne Centenary Open and its $5,000 first place check. That was a big payday. The largest first place check on the PGA Tour that year had been the $1,000 Runyan received for winning the PGA Championship.

On October 19th the PGA of America announced that nineteen tournaments had been scheduled for the Winter Tour. It was the richest schedule for the playing pros since the boom in the late 1920s. Even though tournament golf was on the rise the country was still in the height of the Great Depression and not all was rosy for golf. One indication was that Concord had had 219 applications for the head professional position. In July Brigantine Golf Club sold for $7,500 and $35,000 in back taxes. Only one nine was still open, as the other had been closed. It had been opened in 1927 with a hotel and marina at a cost of $1,000,000.

On the fifth Monday of October Ed Dudley was elected president of the Section at McCallister’s restaurant in Philadelphia. He would be the president for the remainder of the decade. Dudley must have been a busy person as Section president, head professional at two prestigious clubs, and a tournament schedule active enough to allow him to qualify for the Ryder Cup team again in 1937. Under Dudley’s leadership a set minimum rate for instruction was established in the Section. Walter Brickley was elected secretary-treasurer. He would hold the office of treasurer for nineteen consecutive years, 1935 through 1953, along with being both secretary and treasurer for the first five years. Charlie Schneider, Lu Lu Country Club professional Robert Aitken, and A.B. "Al" Nelson were elected first, second and third vice presidents. A board of examiners was appointed to settle any disputes of the Section’s members and pass on new members. There were twenty-five tournaments on the schedule for the next year. Clarence Hackney and A.B. "Al" Nelson, who had played in the PGA Championship that year, were elected to represent the Section at the national meeting in November. The Section members went on record that they wanted all the qualifiers for the PGA Championship to go into the match play rather than compete in another qualifying event at the site of the championship.

In the third week of November the national PGA meeting was held at the Morrison Hotel in Chicago. The officers (President George R. Jacobus, Secretary R.W. "Doc" Treacy and Treasurer Jack B. Mackie) were reelected. The vice presidents were James M. Anderson, Thomas Boyd, Dan J. Goss, John J. Martin, Johnny Farrell and Willie Maguire. The 55 delegates and officers in attendance agreed to qualify 64 on site for the match play at the PGA Championship. It was also decided to exempt the eight quarter-finalists from the previous year’s tournament from qualifying. It was reported that the PGA Tour had played for $112,000 that year and tournaments with purses totaling $125,000 had already been scheduled for the next year. The delegates voted unanimous opposition to the practice of having pari-mutuel betting connected to PGA Tour events. They urged their members not to support those tournaments and not participate in them. Leo Diegel was the chairman of the tournament committee and Denny Shute was a member of his committee.

Paul Runyan led the money winners on the PGA Tour for the year taking home $6,767.91 from twenty-one tournament appearances. In second place was Ky Laffoon who played in 22 events and won $6,419.22. Leo Diegel who was in his first year as the professional at the Philmont Country Club played in only seven tournaments and won the third most money, $6,300. Denny Shute who entered sixteen tournaments was in sixth place with $5,032.16. Hershey’s new professional Henry Picard had entered eight tournaments and was 23rd on the money list with $1,878.41. Ed Dudley played in eight tournaments and won $886.68, which was good for 41st place on the money list. Gene Kunes was 46th as he earned 638.47 in six tournaments. Felix Serafin was 49th, winning 537.50 in two tournaments.

That year there was a new trophy on the PGA Tour called the Radix Cup. A Chicago sportsman named Harry Radix had donated the trophy for the best scoring average of the year. During the year a player had to play in at least ten tournaments that had a purse of $2,500 or more. Ky Laffoon finished at the top of the list with an average of 72-20/77 for his 77 rounds. Leo Diegel was eighth with 73-7/38 strokes per round and Denny Shute averaged 73-28/29 to finish 14th. Diegel had 38 rounds in the compilation and Shute played 58.

Continue to 1935 - 1939... ...

Top             Back
© Copyright 2011- Pete Trenham & trenhamgolfhistory.org      TGH Graphic by Jennifer Madara Tel-Ra Productions      Website Jack Darcy