Home            Back            Bottom


Clubhouse Destroyed At Former Cedarbrook Hill Country Club
What Had Once Been The Cedarbrook Country Club
May 6, 2012


Cedarbrook's Clubhouse as it appeared in the mid
1940's, when the club was located in Cheltenham.

O n May 6, 2012 the clubhouse of what had once been the Cedarbrook Country Club (later Cedarbrook Hill) was demolished by fire. The club had opened in 1921 with a golf course designed by A.W. Tillinghast. The course would go on to host many memorable events. Joe Kirkwood, Sr., the famous trick shot artist from Australia, moved to Glenside and joined Cedarbrook in 1923. That next year Arthur Havers, the 1923 British Open winner, was in the states for a series of 42 exhibitions. Havers had chosen to play exhibitions at Cedarbrook against Kirkwood and Gene Sarazen because he had been told that the golf course was similar to the courses in England, his home country. On April 20, 1924 Havers and Jimmy Ockenden, the 1923 French Open winner, defeated

1947 Inquirer Invitation - Cedarbrook Country Club
Ben Hogan driving & Jimmy Thomson (left)
Kirkwood and Max Marston, the 1923 U.S. Amateur champion, at Cedarbrook. One week later Havers took on Sarazen in a 72-hole match with the first 36 at Cedarbrook. Admission was $2. As it turned out Havers trailed Sarazen by three holes after the two rounds at Cedarbrook but the next day at Westchester-Biltmore Country Club in New York he turned the tables as he made up the deficit and closed out the match a 5&4 winner. In 1947 Bobby Locke came to the United States to play exhibitions and some tournaments on the PGA Tour. The PGA Tour’s Philadelphia Inquirer Invitation was scheduled for late May at Cedarbrook. In April Fred Byrod, the Inquirer’s sports editor, was covering the Masters Tournament. One night he took Locke to dinner and after plying him with a bottle of red wine Locke agreed to play in the Inquirer Invitation. When the

Fire Photo by Harris & Leach

tournament was played Ben Hogan led by five strokes after 36 holes but Locke came from behind to win by four strokes. Philmont Country Club head professional Matt Kowal tied Lloyd Mangrum for second while Hogan slipped to fourth place. In the early 1960s Cedarbrook moved to Blue Bell after having lost a number of acres to a highway expansion. The former site was converted to a par-three course with a townhouse complex.

-Pete Trenham

   Home & Site Menu
   Back
   Top
© Copyright 2011- Pete Trenham & trenhamgolfhistory.org      TGH Graphic by Jennifer Madara Tel-Ra Productions      Website Jack Darcy